NEWS CENTER Maine’s Bangor newsroom is looking for a Managing Editor to teach, mentor and oversee a great team of new professional journalists.
- Provide consistent & constructive feedback on product & performance for each team member
- Build and maintain a Bangor newsroom environment for efficiency and positivity
- Help generate story leads and participate in story selection and development for Bangor-based MMJs
- Consistently funnel leads, sources, information, and video for consideration and inclusion
- Personally encourage and show appreciation for unusually strong product and performance
- Be part of the daily script review process
- Teach and reenforce active writing, and the use of strong storytelling techniques
- Monitor social media, scanners, press releases throughout the day for story leads and source development
- Use web and social pages from organizations and groups as additional delivery repositories to serve our communities
- Occasionally shoot creative stand-ups for MMJs and help with tricky or sensitive interviews for broadcast reports
- Occasionally field produce live shots to increase creativity and/or provide security for MSJs
- Help manage scheduling for Bangor-based news team
- Participate in rotating weekend managers-on-call
- Help manage Bangor team PTO and holiday requests
- Help recruit candidates for open positions
- Coordinate equipment supply, purchases with Chief Photographer and Technology lead
- Oversee maintenance and upkeep of Bangor-based vehicle fleet
- Contribute to the esprit de corps to the larger WLBZ-TV station
- Author monthly reports for WLBZ Station Manager highlighting victories and challenges
- 5-7 years of broadcast newsroom experience
- 2-3 years newsroom leadership experience
- University level degree in Journalism or similar field
- Unwavering journalism ethics
- Strong people management skills
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.