KGW’s Managing Editor will help lead day-to-day editorial coverage for all platforms and help plan for special events including coverage of station initiatives and campaigns. This position works closely with anchors, reporters, and photojournalists to improve and innovate our on-air presentation. This position serves as a real-world talent coach offering feedback, training, and mentorship to a talented, diverse mix of anchors and reporters. This position is the lead recruiter for filling anchor and reporter openings and assessing opportunities for improvement in our on-air presentation. The successful candidate will understand the value and need for the creation of enterprising content in line with our brand and have a track record of accountability and on-air experience that is presented in smart, engaging formats. They must have good news judgment and know how to cover breaking news aggressively for all screens. They will use the power of social media to our advantage by having the savvy to mine social sites for the best relevant content while not allowing the loudest voices to unduly influence editorial decision making.
This management position has direct reports, is salaried non-union and reports to the News Director.
- Mentor and coach reporters, anchors, and producers
- Evaluate and recruit potential hires
- Coordinate content across dayparts, newscasts and platforms
- Work closely with content discovery center on daily and future assignments
- Station liaison with sales department on community projects
- Daily rundown and script review
- Oversee 7 PM half hour highlighting positive stories including developing content
- Lead newsroom internship program
- Collaborate on newsroom projects, goals and initiatives as necessary
- Plan for all-screen coverage of events
- Search for the next story and sidebar stories from lead stories
- A degree in Journalism or a Communications-related field is preferred.
- At least 5-10 years in an on-air role with significant anchor and reporter experience
- Excellent presentation, writing and editing skills, research and story development skills are a must.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines; ability to multitask and prioritize multiple needs simultaneously.
- Knowledge of Oregon is desired.
- Must be able to work flexible shifts, including holidays, evenings, mornings, weekends.
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.