KARE 11 TV, the TEGNA owned station in Minneapolis, is looking for a Managing Editor to help oversee our news gathering operations. The ideal candidate must be a driven news leader who knows how to motivate, collaborate and own the big story in our newsroom. In this position you should have a deep knowledge of the Twin Cities, our region’s history, politics, influencers and culture. This candidate must also have a proven track record of multi-tasking and understanding the complex nature of planning high-level events.
Responsibilities: The ideal candidate will:
- Exercise strong news judgment
- Build relationships with news sources and community stakeholders
- Provide producers and digital content creators with timely and actionable information
- Ensure we are gathering the right mix of stories each day
- Lead a quick response to breaking news
- Clearly communicate needs and logistics to news team
- Be a manager and coach to our assignment editors
- Have a strong rolodex of news sources
- Lead our event and future day planning efforts
- Be knowledgeable of police, state and local governmental operations
- Develop a wide range of sources
- Have knowledge of drone usage, helicopter policies, FCC closed captioning, content clearance rights (video, images, music, fair use policy)
- Stay calm under pressure
- BA/BS in journalism, communications or related field
- 3 — 5 years of management experience preferred
- Possesses knowledge and experience in journalism and storytelling. Demonstrates creativity and innovation ideally in both Digital and Broadcast mediums.
- Displays in-depth knowledge and understanding of traditional and social media platforms.
- Experience with audience feedback tools like CrowdTangle, Chartbeat, Google Analytics, etc.
- Passion and vision for emerging media
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.