WVEC 13News Now, the TEGNA-owned ABC affiliate in Norfolk, VA is looking for a dynamic and energetic Investigative Reporter / MSJ to join our news team in a dynamic and energetic city! We are looking for a great storyteller who shows excellent news gathering and writing skills as well as sound news judgment. The ideal candidate is an ethical, trusted journalist who demonstrates strong research capabilities and skill using the latest tools and techniques to produce compelling investigative stories with impact to help make Hampton Roads and its surrounding communities even better.
- Enterprise and develop short-term and long-term investigative news projects
- Contribute to daily and breaking news content
- Dig into complex and important issues
- Develop reliable sources and contacts in general and specialized areas of interest
- Use open records laws and computer assisted reporting skills to find information and data that lend depth and context to your stories
- Write in an exciting, captivating, and authentic manner for multiple platforms
- Help with production ideas for data content in on-air and online stories
- Develop original content through social listening and independent sources
- Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner
- Interview news subjects and research for facts and credibility
- Shoot and edit while using the latest tools to help tell great stories
- Use creative production techniques, graphics, and new forms of media
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or news managers
- BA/BS in journalism, communication, or related field
- Experience as an investigative journalist
- Seasoned on-air presence and personality
- Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
- Understanding of the tenants of professional journalism
- A portfolio with examples of investigative and breaking news reporting
- Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven live shots
- Strong social media skills, including an active news presence on Twitter and Facebook
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- A passion for investigating and telling great stories
- Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.