KENS5, San Antonio's CBS affiliate is looking for an outstanding leader. The role of Executive Producer will be filled by a passionate, experienced journalist who’s great at managing people and growing talent. This person will be driven to provide the very best news coverage possible across all platforms daily, making sure our content reflects the diverse communities we represent. This role is responsible for leading daily editorial conversations, serving as a leader to our producers, coordinating with our desk, digital team and other leaders in the newsroom daily.
This critical team member leads the day-to-day production of executing newscasts and helping to shape the rundowns.
The ideal candidate has a track record of leading broadcast teams to create relevant, meaningful, and compelling newscasts, teaching direct reports of various experience levels, and thinking strategically about multiple projects to meet the station's goals. This person has strong leadership skills, a commitment to covering breaking news and providing context and depth, can make quick editorial decisions, and has a willingness to push a team to think creatively daily. You will work collaboratively with other newsroom managers and teams to create innovative content for all platforms.
- Collaborate to execute long-term newsroom strategy
- Train, develop and coach the newsroom team with a focus on mentoring content creators across all platforms to elevate writing, crafting and storytelling
- Oversee the daily editorial process
- Oversee the on-air execution of newscasts
- Source and recruit top notch journalists
- Participate in coordinating all aspects of coverage, from breaking news to enterprise story production and news specials.
- Ensure that news coverage meets the KENS brand, company policies, industry codes, FCC rules and station values
- Help direct newsroom operations, review scripts and manage schedules
- Work with the Assistant News Director and other managers to establish newsroom goals and work to develop and further brand
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, related field and/or news leadership experience
- 5 years of industry experience
- Track record of quality journalism, high integrity and ethical decision making
- Must be a great communicator and a strong leader
- Passion for growing journalists and fostering a creative and positive newsroom environment
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Strong planning, writing and organizational skills
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.