WFAA is looking for a leader in photojournalism to guide our award-winning team of photojournalists. WFAA won NPPA Station of the Year in 2021, following back to back station of the year awards in 2018 and 2019. The team was runner up in 2020. This is an exciting opportunity to take a nationally recognized team to even greater heights. This position will include mentoring, recruiting, and training staff on new technology and storytelling tools. This position must also lead by example in editorial discussions and decision making, while producing daily and long form creative and powerful video content. WFAA’s team of photojournalists live to break the mold and strive to change the industry; not conform to it. The Director of Photography must be an experienced leader who will continue our culture of innovative, visual content for all platforms while ensuring the highest journalistic ethical standards, as well as the highest quality video and audio standards. This position must also work well with other managers in the newsroom and other departments in the station.
Ideal candidates must be highly skilled and creative in the areas of photojournalism, editing, and storytelling. The visual leader needs to have a hands-on leadership style and be a strong coach with excellent evaluation and communication skills. They will need the ability to inspire the staff, ensuring the highest creative visual standards. This individual will be surrounded by the best photojournalists and MSJs in the country. It is imperative this leader continuously evolve to stay ahead of a talented team to guide them through new tools and tricks.
- Work with the News Director to recruit, develop and retain industry leading Visual and Multi-Skilled Journalists.
- Work with the New Director to inspire, motivate and coach the team daily, seeking ways to share skills and knowledge with others.
- Develop and maintain visual content benchmarks.
- Set and maintain NPPA high-end quality standards for visual storytelling
- Collaborate with technology department on the tools for high end visual presentation and next generation tech to add to the station’s toolkit
- Partner with staff to improve and innovate WFAA’s visual presentation, constantly challenging the status quo on all platforms, including but not limited to implementing new technology and social/digital skills.
- Track and manage gear, and equipment and supplies to address quality and safety concerns
- Maintain daily photographer schedules and manage vacation
- Maintain close working relationships with the engineering and technology teams to maintain the news fleet, keep all photographer gear in top working order, and to help innovate within departments.
- Work with news managers to address performance concerns and conducting annual performance reviews and goal setting
- 6+ years news photojournalism experience in network or major market required. Prior management experience a plus.
- Ability to multi-task management duties while juggling high-profile projects with attention-to-detail
- Membership to National Press Photographers Association (NPPA) a plus
- Certification as commercial drone pilot a plus, or willingness to obtain one
- Advanced skills in shooting, lighting, and non-linear editing for news and production.
- DSLR camera and drone knowledge preferred.
- Sharp editing skills and familiarity with Adobe Premiere, After Effects, and other tools to elevate visual presentation through graphical creativity
- Fluent in ENG and SNG operation and digital file transfer technologies.
- Journalism and/or Mass Communication degree preferred
- Travel: Occasionally: 10-25%
- Work Environment Set: Moderate risk: involves moderate risks or discomforts that require special safety precautions
- Physical Demands Set: Heavy work: Involves standing, stooping, bending, using force, lifting/pushing up to 50 lbs.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.