We’re looking for a visionary news leader who understands rich/unique/local news content and social engagement on multiple platforms and can lead for the future. The Director of Digital Content for WKYC Studios, TEGNA's NBC affiliate in Cleveland, will serve as a member of the news leadership team and lead the publication and distribution of engaging, compelling content across multiple platforms. Must be expert at leading a team and at implementing exceptional, engaged content on digital properties.
This includes, but is not limited to: breaking news coverage, special project content, franchise support, social media, text/email updates/alerts/contests, and more. Works closely with the Director of Content and Broadcast News Director to prioritize and set short and long-term goals and serves as primary liaison for digital sales project implementation. Must be a team player dedicated to continuous improvement, staff engagement and driven to perform at a superior level. This person will play a key role in charting the station’s digital content and growth strategy. The ideal candidate is more than an analytics junkie. You must love to lead and provide feedback to a team hungry to win.
- Manage the digital content team and lead digital strategy to grow multi-platform content, audience and engagement
- Be an active leader in the daily editorial process
- Lead our newsrooms to develop workflows that deliver our content 24/7 across current and future platforms with storytelling that is optimized for each screen
- Analyze and actively use data and metrics to inform editorial and strategic decisions and to create accountability for results
- Actively partner with the Director of Content, Broadcast News Director and Marketing Director to create three-screen synergy (TV, digital, mobile) around station content and campaigns
- Oversee all station efforts in social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and other emerging platforms.
- Lead the content team in identifying new content types and innovative technologies that help us reach and serve new audiences
- Create unique, engaging, and shareable content
- Be a resource for Sales in its content generation and digital sponsorship efforts
- Teach, coach, and mentor both members of the digital team and the entire newsroom in best practices for writing and producing content for digital and social platforms
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover and distribute content
- Collaborate with content leaders across TEGNA to maximize the sharing of our content and to leverage innovation and best practices among stations
- Directly manage expectations, duties and schedules for certain team members of the Content Team
- Hold newsroom employees accountable to TEGNA’s ethical and editorial standards
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or equivalent experience in the field
- 7-10 years of content experience, including at least 2-3 years managing other journalists
- Solid journalistic judgment and a news philosophy that emphasizes accurate, fair and unique local content, along with community engagement
- An understanding of SEO best practices for articles, images and video
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and the ability to deal with the rapid pace of news
- Knowledge of online CMS and news production systems along with social newsgathering tools like CrowdTangle and Social News Desk
- Experience analyzing audience data and identifying behavioral trends. Chartbeat and Google Analytics experience, a must
- Passion and vision for emerging media
- Strong organizational, leadership and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to be flexible with schedule when needed
- Familiarity with Northeast Ohio and/or a reason to relocate here, a plus
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.