KOIN 6 TV/Portland’s CW, a Nexstar Media Inc. owned CBS and CW duopoly in Portland, Oregon is looking for Digital Reporter to join our growing digital team.
Position Summary: The Digital Reporter should be a skilled writer who can craft headlines and content that provide value to the audience and driver user engagement. The reporter will use data to make decisions about audience interest trends. The reporter will be able to reach out to contacts, source the web and find information on social media to build stories that will be high performing across multiple websites. While the reporter will largely work from a single space, the ability to take photos and create video is a plus. A strong knowledge of social media platforms is expected.
- Report news quickly and accurately
- Be able to craft original content that stands out from competition
- Collaborate with local and regional staff to find angles that resonate in the community
- Find ways to share reporting responsibilities across markets and topics as needed
- Understand types of stories that drive traffic on the web
- Work with management to deliver a content mix that reflects the needs of our audience
- Develop expertise and sources in key audience interest areas
- Shoot photos and video as needed to tell stories in multiple ways
- Utilize social media for reporting and story promotion
- Ability to perform other digital duties as needed
Skill/ Experience Requirements
- 2 years of experience creating content for the web
- Knowledge of AP style
- Enjoys working in teams and is a strong communicator
- Ability to quickly learn new things and adapt to change
- Thrives under pressure and able to meet deadlines
- Self-motivated and competitive
- Comfortable setting up and executing interviews with local sources
- Ability to be fast and first at breaking news on the web
- Able to deliver multiple stories for the web each day on a wide range of topics
- Familiar with contact information for various agencies to obtain information as quickly as possible.
- Understand social media’s importance in reporting stories and delivering traffic
- Some schedule flexibility (nights, weekends)
- Regularly meets measurements of success
- Proficiency in MS Office a must; HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience a plus
This reporter will spend time at the start of the shift reviewing story ideas and looking over their own sources for ideas. After coordinating with digital leadership for a list of expected daily stories, the reporter will begin writing and communicating updates. Social media updates, videos and monitoring of breaking news should be incorporated seamlessly into the shift.
Measurements of success
- Deliver stories quickly, accurately, and often
- Provide a central role in story idea discovery and generation for the local and regional team
- Consistently seek to grow audience to your bylined stories
- KPI: 4-5 stories published daily, +10% PV to byline
- Grow your social media base and regularly promote links to stories
Work Environment/Mental/Physical Requirements: High stress environment with deadline pressures and the demands of breaking news, which can happen at any time. Position will require day-to-day multi-tasking, as well as managing multiple projects simultaneously with frequent change in direction and priority. Travel may be required. Work may be performed in extreme outdoor temperatures. A valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record are required. Must be willing and able to work any and all shifts as necessary, including overnights/early morning, days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
Must be able to sit, conduct phone conversations, use email, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, work near others, and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions. Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
To be considered for this position you must apply online via the Nexstar Media Inc. Career Portal: Please remember to attach your cover letter, resume, and a link to your demo reel or portfolio (if applicable).
Nexstar Careers – First Time users must create an Account
Broadcasting since 1953, KOIN-TV is Portland’s CBS affiliate, providing exceptional local news content on air and online (koin.com), CBS Network programming and syndicated entertainment to viewers across Oregon and SW Washington. KOIN News is Watching Out for You with 51 hours of local news broadcasts each week, featuring award-winning, in-depth investigations, news, weather, traffic, KOIN News AM-Extra and Game-On! Our sister station, KRCW-TV – Portland’s CW – began broadcasting in 1989. Portland’s CW offers CW network programming, along with local sports and syndicated comedy programming and talk shows. Also under the umbrella of KOIN-TV is Antenna TV, which features classic TV programs from the 1960s-1990s, such as Family Ties, Johnny Carson, Bewitched, Coach and many others.
KOIN-TV, KRCW-TV and Antenna TV are Nexstar Media Inc. television stations serving Oregon and SW Washington from our studios in downtown Portland, OR. Nexstar Media Inc. is America’s largest local television and media company with 197 full power stations (including partner stations) in 116 markets addressing more than 68% of U.S. television households and a growing digital media operation. Nexstar’s platform delivers exceptional local content and network programming to inform and entertain viewers, while providing premium, scalable local advertising opportunities for advertisers and brands across all screens and devices. Today, as one of the most powerful and trusted voices in America, Nexstar remains true to its mission to uphold the public interest principles of localism, diversity, and trustworthy, unbiased broadcast journalism. At the same time, the company continues to simultaneously raise its commitment to support the evolving needs and interests of the local viewers, hometown businesses and community organizations that it proudly serves each day.
KOIN/Nexstar Media Inc. is an equal opportunity employer that seeks diversity in our workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
KOIN/Nexstar Media Inc. values the contribution of its employees. We recognize their efforts by offering a competitive compensation plan and an array of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(K), and more. We are committed to a drug and alcohol-free workplace. Any job offer is conditional upon satisfactorily completing a background and DMV check.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at: https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/nexstar