The Digital Reporter should be a skilled writer and natural newshound who can craft engaging stories and click-worthy headlines that resonate with WTNH.com readers. The reporter will use data and analytics tools to interpret audience interest trends, pitching original and enterprising stories designed to grow readership and engagement. The reporter will have/develop a portfolio of trusted local sources to substantiate reporting with balanced commentary and insights.
The reporter will be adept in social media internet sleuthing or social media—scouring through online sources to turn unique digital stories.
The reporter will be able to reach out to contacts, source the web and find information on social media to build stories that will be high performing across multiple websites. While the reporter will largely work from a single space, the ability to take photos and create video is a plus. A strong knowledge of social media platforms is expected.
- Report news quickly and accurately
- Be able to craft original content that stands out from competition
- Collaborate with local and regional staff to find angles that resonate in the community
- Find ways to share reporting responsibilities across markets and topics as needed
- Understand types of stories that drive traffic on the web
- Work with management to deliver a content mix that reflects the needs of our audience
- Develop expertise and sources in key audience interest areas
- Shoot photos and video as needed to tell stories in multiple ways
- Utilize social media for reporting and story promotion
- 2 years of experience creating content for the web
- Knowledge of AP style
- Enjoys working in teams and is a strong communicator
- Ability to quickly learn new things and adapt to change
- Thrives under pressure and able to meet deadlines
- Self-motivated and competitive
- Comfortable setting up and executing interviews with local sources
- Ability to be fast and first at breaking news on the web
- Able to deliver multiple stories for the web each day on a wide range of topics
- Familiar with contact information for various agencies to obtain information as quickly as possible.
- Understand social media’s importance in reporting stories and delivering traffic
- Some schedule flexibility (nights, weekends)
- Regularly meets measurements of success
- Proficiency in MS Office a must; HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree
This reporter will spend time at the start of the shift reviewing story ideas and looking over their own sources for ideas. After coordinating with digital leadership for a list of expected daily stories, the reporter will begin writing and communicating updates. Social media updates, videos and monitoring of breaking news should be incorporated seamlessly into the shift.
Measurements of success
- Deliver stories quickly, accurately, and often
- Provide a central role in story idea discovery and generation for the local and regional team
- Consistently seek to grow audience to your bylined stories
- KPI: 4-5 stories published daily, +10% PV to byline
- Grow your social media base and regularly promote links to stories
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at: https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/nexstar