Skill/ Experience Requirements
- 2 years of experience creating content for the web
- Knowledge of AP style
- Enjoys working in teams and is a strong communicator
- Ability to quickly learn new things and adapt to change
- Thrives under pressure and able to meet deadlines
- Self-motivated and competitive
- Comfortable setting up and executing interviews with local sources
- Ability to be fast and first at breaking news on the web
- Able to deliver multiple stories for the web each day on a wide range of topics
- Familiar with contact information for various agencies to obtain information as quickly as possible.
- Understand social media’s importance in reporting stories and delivering traffic
- Some schedule flexibility (nights, weekends)
- Regularly meets measurements of success
- Proficiency in MS Office a must; HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience a plus
This reporter will spend time at the start of the shift reviewing story ideas and looking over their own sources for ideas. After coordinating with digital leadership for a list of expected daily stories, the reporter will begin writing and communicating updates. Social media updates, videos and monitoring of breaking news should be incorporated seamlessly into the shift.
Measurements of success
- Deliver stories quickly, accurately, and often
- Provide a central role in story idea discovery and generation for the local and regional team
- Consistently seek to grow audience to your bylined stories
- KPI: 4-5 stories published daily, +10% PV to byline
- Grow your social media base and regularly promote links to stories
- Compensation range from $16.00/ hr + commensurate with experience and skill level.
- Benefits include Medical, dental, vision, Life Insurance, and 401K with company match.