KTVB, a TEGNA station in Boise, Idaho, and the area’s dominant local news source, is looking for a dynamic digital producer/reporter to join our team.
The ideal candidate has a great attitude, accurately writes breaking news articles, thrives in a fast-paced environment and is eager to work on the cutting edge of television, digital and social media.
This producer is a digital reporter and writer who will use strong news judgement to find and produce original content for KTVB’s platforms including broadcast, digital and social.
Journalism experience and the ability to produce clean copy is required. Grammar nerds are preferred, as this position includes copy editing colleagues’ work. This producer must enjoy collaboration and be a creative thinker who thrives on interacting with our audience and working in a team atmosphere. This role involves working closely with our award-winning anchors and reporters to accurately create and publish content.
Duties include copy editing, writing SEO-friendly headlines, moderating user-generated content and assignment editor duties including monitoring news tips and using strong news judgement to identify the best stories we should cover for KTVB.COM and TV. They will also help monitor what’s trending locally and nationally while working with other TEGNA stations, especially our Pacific Northwest sister stations.
You may also have the opportunity to be trained on how to produce shows for TV. Employees who work hard and prove themselves to be “rising stars” may have opportunities for upward mobility within KTVB or TEGNA’s network of over 50 TV stations across the US. KTVB’s content reaches the audience whenever and wherever they are – on television, desktop, mobile web, our apps, OTT, the KTVB YouTube channel, Facebook, Twitter, or through our Instagram Stories. KTVB has been honored with regional and national RTDNA National Murrow Awards for our innovative storytelling, the latest in 2021.
The successful candidate is innovative with strong writing skills, social media experience and solid news judgment. Preferred candidates will have experience with posting stories to digital-mobile-social platforms, knowledge of online CMS software, video and photo-editing skills, and the ability to work a flexible schedule. Preference may be given to those who understand digital audience trends, from social media demographics to effective push alert tactics to what moves the needle on YouTube.
- Help cover news content for KTVB’s broadcast, digital and social platforms
- Report news quickly and accurately as it happens online, with an emphasis on creating the best reader experience while also winning Google Search traffic
- Post photos and other content to KTVB.COM, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram and Instagram Stories
- Monitor real-time analytics, such as Taboola Newsroom, to maximize reader engagement and learn what kind of stories perform well
- Efficiently scour the Internet, including TikTok, NextDoor, local Facebook groups, Reddit threads, Twitter and Crowdtangle, for viral or impactful stories our audience cares about
- Help with monitoring text messages, e-mails and adding story tips to the daily planner
- Participate in news editorial meetings, pitching ideas and working with staff to develop original and impactful journalism ideas for digital and TV.
- Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and time-management skills
- Experience working as a digital journalist
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage assignments and requests from various sources with an ability to work well with varied personalities within deadlines
- Understanding of media ethics as well as fair and unbiased reporting practices
- Experience with video production, YouTube channels, non-linear editing software, Search Engine Optimization or using audience tracking tools are a huge plus
- If you don’t have all of the required experience, write a cover letter convincing us why you are the ideal candidate.
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.