KBSI23 WDKA in Cape Girardeau, MO is looking for a seasoned digital media professional who will lead the day-to-day production of high-quality content across multiple digital platforms and broadcast. ?The DCM will write, produce, curate, optimize, publish, and monitor high-quality local, regional, and national news stories for distribution across KBSI23’s broadcast and digital platforms, including web, mobile, social, and emerging media properties. The DCM will assist in assigning daily stories for the field crews and assist them in the newsgathering process as needed. The DCM works closely with other newsroom leaders, reporters, photographers, and multimedia journalists to develop, publish, and promote digital content that is highly engaging and optimized. The DCM will help our digital platforms grow by training and coaching newsroom staff and through leading by example.
- Strong leadership and communication skills; desire to grow with the company is a plus
- Strong digital publishing skills including a solid understanding of SEO concepts, AP Style, headline-writing, and basic HTML
- Familiarity with WordPress, Adobe CS, Google Analytics, and/or other industry standard tools, as well as Microsoft Office
- 1-3 years’ experience working in a fast-paced Newsroom environment is preferred
- Ideal candidates will have a degree in Journalism, Communications, Digital Media, or the equivalent combination of experience and education
- Candidates should be self-starters who are comfortable working both independently and with others in a fast paced, remote work environment
- Desire to be a key part of an innovative, growing team of digital journalists and take on additional responsibilities over time
- Research, write, edit, and publish time-sensitive local, regional, and national news content, with a focus on clarity, fairness, legality, spelling, grammar, punctuation, and style
- Curate and optimize national, regional, and local news stories for publication across multiple platforms during key time periods. Some shifts may include early morning hours – 4am-Noon EST and some weekends.
- Write highly effective headlines and story summaries and pitch stories to regional and national news sites
- Write, post, and monitor engaging social media content on multiple platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, YouTube, Snapchat, TikTok, etc.
- Post breaking news quickly and accurately while maintaining open communication with local newsroom staff as stories develop
- Optimize content structure, placement, metadata, hyperlinks, images etc.
- Monitor real-time analytical data to determine audience engagement patterns and make data-driven decisions to optimize content performance
- Assign daily stories (vo/sots, packages, etc.) for the field crews and assist them in the newsgathering process as needed
- On occasion shoot interviews and cover stories outside of the office
- Manage the assignment folder and create and keep contacts list up to date for staff to access
- Set expectations for field crews regarding digital needs throughout the day and stay in close contact with them throughout the day.
- Read and approve scripts for nightside and weekend field crews
- Communicate with the news director, executive producer and producers about that evening’s assignments and do a recap with them at the end of your shift (which is closer to the beginning of their shifts)
- Manage the assignment folder
- Create interesting, creative, and engaging content on KBSI’s digital and social platforms
- Manage all content on KBSI’s digital and social platforms to grow metrics across all platforms
- Lead the team in a breaking news strategy for digital and on-air
- Work with your direct supervisor to ensure the digital platforms and on-air assignments are in line with the brand
Standard Media Group-SMG is an innovative media company serving our communities through breaking news, impactful reporting, and innovative multi-screen marketing services.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume and cover letter, along with examples (links and/or reel) of your work to:
Please denote how you became aware of this position in your response.
No phone calls please. Standard Media Group-SMG is an equal opportunity employer.