KGW in Portland, Oregon is looking for the next Manager of our Content Discovery Center. Join our team of journalists at one of the most innovative TV stations in the country.
The Content Discovery Center is our version of a traditional assignment desk. As a member and manager of the Center, your work will be central to our newsgathering process. You’ll oversee a team of Content Center editors, keep track of breaking news, help reporters and producers uncover great stories, help our team allocate resources and interact with the public daily.
A successful candidate will thrive under deadline pressure and be curious about all facets of the newsroom. We want a journalist who is organized, has good interpersonal skills and who is eager to help people in many different newsroom roles.
This is a full-time position with benefits. If you are a dynamic, motivated and creative assignment editor who knows what to takes to be stationed at a nimble newsroom hub and are ready to take a leadership role, then we want you to join our team.
Visit the “Come work for KGW” playlist on YouTube to get a taste of some of our best work and learn more about our station.
- Serve as team leader and active member of the Content Discovery Center staff (3-4 employees); handle schedules, performance reviews, personnel issues
- Work with other newsroom managers on overall news coverage decisions and participate in manager on-call rotation
- In Content Center role, gather and distribute accurate, timely news updates and content to support all aspects of our newsroom
- Respond quickly to both breaking and daily news to confirm details, book interviews and assign crews
- Execute daily news coverage and plan for major events
- Produce and publish to multiple platforms daily, including writing and editing for KGW.com and posting on social media
- Monitor traditional and emerging technologies to receive, filter and share content
- Develop sources in government, hospital system, first responders and more
- Other duties as assigned
- 3-4 years of newsroom experience working as an assignment editor or other newsroom content role; supervisory experience preferred but not required
- Strong communication, conflict management, and customer service skills
- Creative, forward-thinking, and takes a proactive, hands-on approach
- Ability to direct a diverse team of experienced journalists
- Strong organizational skills in a fast paced and deadline driven environment
- Sound news judgment with the ability to work under tight deadlines and in stressful situations
- Demonstrated exceptional core journalism skills including writing short articles for digital media and scripts for television
- Extensive knowledge of social media, online, mobile, etc. content gathering tools and technologies
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 64 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.