KVUE, the award-winning TEGNA station in Austin, is on the hunt for the Chief Meteorologist to lead our team of weather scientists in one of the country’s fastest growing big cities.
The Chief Meteorologist is a dynamic leader who has mastered every aspect of meteorology, from forecasting, to preparing graphics, to reporting in the field, to being an integral part of severe weather coverage reaching our consumers on television, mobile and social media platforms. The Chief Meteorologist must have a passion for winning severe weather and telling a compelling weather story even on bright sunny days. They need to embrace new technology and be willing to explore new ways to present the weather story while also being a key leader in promoting community involvement.
- Works with the News Director to create and implement strategic direction for weather coverage
- Uses creativity in pitching, shooting, writing and editing stories not just for broadcast but equally as important is KVUE+, our streaming platform
- Supervises the weather team, including all scheduling
- Interacts live with fans and the audience on multiple platforms, especially during severe or inconvenient weather
- Assists News Director with recruiting and hiring for the weather team
- Coaches and mentors weather team with regular feedback
- Works with the News Director and News Managers to develop plans for severe weather coverage
- Leads coordination and implementation of technological advances related to graphics
- Builds partnerships as required
- Participates in community outreach efforts including live shots and station appearances as required
- Builds weather forecasts & weather graphics
- Keeps up-to-date on the latest weather data gathering/delivery trends
- Willing to lean in on climate stories…stories that are a driver for the Austin market
- Writes and posts stories online, mobile and social media platforms
- Must hit set goals for engagement with audiences
- Perform other tasks as required by News Director
- Bachelors degree in Meteorology; AMS Certification preferred
- Minimum 5 years of on-air experience
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Demonstrated experience writing, reporting, shooting, and editing video
- Strong communication skills (written/oral)
- Ability to work under pressure while meeting daily assigned deadlines
- Applicable knowledge of multiplatform news gathering tools and resources
- Strong grasp of digital storytelling
- Fluent with social media platforms and social management tools, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, email, social and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.