KREM and KSKN TV the TEGNA CBS and CW affiliate in Spokane Washington is seeking an experienced Broadcast Supervisor and News Operations Manager to help lead our staff of Directors and Production Assistants, and to have input on the development of Photographers and Editors in the News Department. A leader who is devoted to inspiring and help our staff to grow in their craft and has the drive for innovation in a visual medium. This position is responsible for working closely with our News Director and other newsroom managers in developing a culture of innovative visual content across all KREM 2 News shows and platforms and ensuring high ethical standards, as well as high quality video and audio standards. This position is also responsible to work closely with Engineering and the Tegna Master Control Hub for clean operation of syndicated and special programming. They will also help make sure any type of issues that might arise be taken care that has very little impact to the on-air content.
- Maintain all schedules for Directors, and Production Assistants to ensure all shifts are staffed properly.
- Manage day-to-day broadcast operations production and newsroom – including creating and implementing quality standards for directors, editors, studio and control room staff, and field crews.
- Help develop and maintain visual standard best practices, trainings, and workflows for on air content.
- Work with news managers to develop and execute large scale event coverage, like Election Day, Breaking News, and Special Events.
- Work with news managers to address performance concerns and ways to improve our overall visual standard.
- Collaborate with engineering to verify/ensure technical requirements of the control room automation, equipment, and studio are met
- Oversee and maintain technical equipment for operations.
- Help create and implement standard operating procedures for newsroom equipment and content.
- Evaluate new technologies and make recommendations for budgeting/planning purposes.
- Manage vehicle fleet and field gear for photographers keeping repairs at or under quarterly budget.
- Administer annual performance reviews with direct reports.
- Provide input to News Managers on Photographer, and Editor growth opportunities. Assist in annual performance reviews for Photographers and Editors.
- Identify and mentor top performers.
- Multiple years of proven leadership managing broadcast operations teams and studios (newsroom experience strongly preferred, but not required).
- College degree in relevant field and/or relevant experience
- Extensive knowledge in control room, cameras, non-linear editing systems, ENG video playback and ingest systems, media management, and news acquisition equipment.
- Self-Motivated leader with proven problem-solving abilities
- Commitment to continuing to foster a culture of teamwork, collaboration, and innovation
- Knowledge and interest in emerging technologies and industry best practices
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills and organizational skills
- Ability to make quick, sound, ethical decisions while working under strict deadlines
- Willingness to work overtime, flexible shifts, and holidays as needed
- Ability to multi-task and juggle high-profile projects with attention-to-detail
- Certification as commercial drone pilot a plus, or willingness to obtain one
- Ability to operate ENG van and live remote equipment a plus
- Valid driver's license and good driving record
- Should be able to handle lifting basic camera gear without issue
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.