WOI/KCWI, the TEGNA ABC/CW affiliate in West Des Moines, IA is looking for a Broadcast Director. The person filling this role is responsible for technical directing our locally produced content using a Sony production switcher, BitCentral video playback system, and a Chyron graphics system. The director works closely with producers and others in the news department to produce fast-paced, graphic & video-driven, compelling and clean newscasts.
WOI/KCWI produces over 5 hours of live local content each day, and directors are key to making shows the best they can be. We are seeking an individual who can handle a fast-paced and dynamic shows. The ideal candidate will bring new, forward-thinking production ideas to the table to help us adapt to a constantly changing viewer base.
- Direct local production while operating the production switcher.
- Oversee the overall look of the assigned newscast(s) and shows.
- Identify and correct potential problems before they go to air.
- Work closely with other directors/production assistants/producers to facilitate changes.
- Maintain studio operations and tidiness (i.e., lights, sets, etc.).
- Produce graphics for newscasts using Photoshop, Edius and Chyron.
- Operate graphics, audio, prompter, and cameras as needed.
- Other broadcast production duties as assigned.
- Experience with a production switcher, ENPS, BitCentral, and Chyron graphics systems is a plus.
- Ability to adapt and quickly pivot on the fly for breaking news and unexpected events.
- Excellent communication skills, with an emphasis on working as a team with producers and directors.
- High attention to detail and quick problem-solving skills to minimize on-air mistakes.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must be able to work quickly and efficiently under pressure.
- Degree in TV production or related preferred.
- 1+ years relevant experience.
- The ability to work with a flexible schedule is a must. May require mornings, nights, weekends, and holidays (Schedule is TBD).
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.