WUSA9 in Washington, D.C. is looking for a leader to help build trust with our audience through strong journalism across all platforms. The role of Assistant Director of Multi-Platform Content will be filled by a collaborative, experienced journalist who’s great at juggling multiple projects and wants to focus on growing journalists. This person will be passionate about developing the very best news coverage possible across all platforms and making sure our content reflects the diverse communities we represent. We’re looking for a transformative leader who can create a modern version of local news that consumers across all platforms will come back to time and time again.
This critical team member leads the day-to-day production of editorial content across multiple platforms with a specific eye toward coaching the reporters, digital editors and multiskilled journalists on staff. Through careful coaching, this role elevates their storytelling, writing, and execution daily. This person will help create and execute content plans for daily news, ongoing projects, investigations and existing franchises.
The ideal candidate can explain analytic measurements to the news team to help make editorial decisions and is a leader with a strong voice in the newsroom, championing best practices, accuracy and audience experience on all platforms.
- Collaborate to execute long-term newsroom strategy
- Oversee the daily editorial process across all platforms
- Oversee the on-air execution of newscasts
- Manage dayside reporter and digital editors
- Makes sure on-air and digital platforms are in sync while making sure that we are delivering specific content that meets the demands/needs of our consumers
- Train, develop and coach the newsroom team with a focus on mentoring content creators across all platforms to elevate writing, crafting and storytelling
- Source and recruit top notch journalists
- Participate in coordinating all aspects of coverage, from breaking news to enterprise story production and news specials.
- Ensure that news coverage meets the brand, company policies, industry codes, FCC rules and station values
- Direct newsroom operations, review scripts and manage schedules
- Work with the news director and digital director to establish newsroom goals and work to develop and further brand
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, related field and/or news leadership experience
- 5 years of industry experience with leadership/management experience
- Track record of quality journalism, high integrity and ethical decision making
- Passion for growing journalists and fostering a creative and positive newsroom environment
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Medium work: Involves standing prolong hours, stooping, bending, lifting/pushing up to 25 lbs.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.