ABC24/CW30, the TEGNA ABC affiliate in Memphis, TN, is looking for a motivated, passionate, people-oriented leader to help build trust with our audience through strong journalism. The role of Assistant News Director will be filled by a collaborative, experienced journalist who’s great at juggling multiple projects and wants to focus on growing journalists.
The ideal candidate has excellent news judgment and strong management skills with the ability to motivate, collaborate, and own the big story along with the very best news coverage possible across all platforms on a daily basis, making sure our content reflects the diverse communities we represent.
This critical team member leads the day-to-day editorial decision-making, working closely with the Digital Director to ensure our content best serves the audience on all platforms. Our leadership team works together to build a strong culture and works collaboratively.
ABC24/CW30 believes everyone should get training and coaching to help them succeed. Through careful coaching, this role elevates multiskilled journalists' and producers’ storytelling, writing, and execution daily.
- Oversee the daily editorial process
- Train, develop and coach the newsroom team with a focus on mentoring content creators across all platforms to elevate writing, crafting and storytelling
- Work with digital director and executive producers to ensure a multi-platform content approach in every stage of the newsgathering process
- Source and recruit top-notch journalists
- Participate in coordinating all aspects of coverage, from breaking news and severe weather events to enterprise story production and news specials.
- Ensure that news coverage meets the brand, company policies, industry codes, FCC rules and station values
- Evaluate workflow efficiencies and adjust processes and procedures as necessary
- Strategize with content leadership and station leadership teams on goals focused on growing our people, our content, and our audience
- Build relationships with news sources and community stakeholders
- Execute administrative duties such as managing direct reports, creating schedules, and training new employees
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, related field and/or news leadership experience
- 5 years of industry experience with leadership/management experience
- Track record of quality journalism, high integrity and ethical decision making
- Passion for growing journalists and fostering a creative and positive newsroom environment
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.