9NEWS is looking for a motivated, passionate, people-oriented Assistant News Director. KUSA/KTVD, the NBC/MyNet TEGNA stations in Denver, CO are redefining how news is produced and distributed. We are building the future for new ways to engage and educate our audiences by providing exceptional experiences on all platforms.
The ideal candidate has excellent news judgment and strong management skills with the ability to motivate, collaborate, and own the big story. While the Assistant News Director will lead day-to-day decision making on broadcast coverage, he or she will also work closely with the digital team to ensure our content best serves the audience on all platforms.
Editorial Mission Statement:
9NEWS produces accurate, relevant news content across platforms,?empowering people to make informed decisions for themselves and their?families. 9NEWS is a brave space for journalists to pursue their purpose, find?and tell truths, listen and amplify Colorado's diverse voices, and filter out?disinformation to create understanding, accountability, enlightenment, and?empathy.
The core values of 9NEWS are bravery, integrity, passion, curiosity, and inclusivity.
Pay Range: $95,000 – $120,000 per year.
- Work closely with producers, reporters, anchors, digital desk producers and photographers on compelling, impact-driven original storytelling and daily news coverage
- Oversee production of newscasts and special programming
- Make split second decisions to lead the news team during breaking news and severe weather events
- Work with 9NEWS’ executive producers to ensure a multi-platform content approach in every stage of the news gathering process
- Partner with news leadership to elevate our core values, internal DE&I culture, and our Race and Culture content
- Strategize with executive team on goals focused on growing our people, our content, and our audience
- Build relationships with news sources and community stakeholders
- Execute administrative duties such as managing direct reports, creating schedules, and training new employees
- Assist in training and providing valuable feedback for entire editorial team
- Evaluate workflow efficiencies and adjust processes and procedures as necessary
Here’s What You Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field and news leadership experience
- 5+ years of content experience, including generation of original content
- Solid journalistic and content judgement that emphasizes accurate, fair and unique local content, along with community engagement
- Excellent people management skills
- Strong communication and conflict management skills
- Strong organizational skills in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.