FOX61 in Hartford, CT is looking for an experienced and motivated Assignment Desk Editor who can complement our news team to create engaging up-to-the-minute content for our newscasts. The ideal candidate is naturally curious, has great people skills, excellent news judgement and thrives on digging for stories, as well as connecting with the community. The Assignment Desk Editor helps to select, plan and develop stories for our team of broadcast journalists on all platforms. The candidate will also help develop enterprise stories, track and cover breaking news, field calls from the public and stay connected with local news in our communities through e-mails, social media and news releases. The ideal candidate should have a deep knowledge of Connecticut and the greater Hartford area’s history, influencers and culture.
- Discover and produce unique, local and engaging content daily and publish to multiple platforms
- React quickly to breaking news and move crews effectively
- Create logistical solutions to ensure stories are covered efficiently with available staff
- Review all news releases, monitor police and fire scanners, as well as check social media and other local news sources for story ideas.
- Make beat calls to maintain relationships with local agencies like police departments, courts, etc.
- Represent FOX61 in conversations with other media organizations about pool coverage and access issues
- Lead long-term story planning, including keeping track of big stories, potential follow ups, and organizing a newsroom calendar
- Provide editorial guidance and manage logistics to execute daily newsroom content
- Use multiple social media platforms to identify stories that will trend well with audiences
- Search and locate criminal and civil document systems to be distributed to news and digital producers
- Perform basic digital producing, including but not limited to, writing and publishing local content and breaking news to the station's website and app, as well as drafting and publishing posts for the station's social media accounts
- Maintain knowledge on specific political, community and business leaders
- Understand audience insights and metrics, apply to content planning and execution
- A candidate with previous Connecticut news coverage experience is preferred.
- Collaborate with other TEGNA stations, FOX affiliates to search trending content and publish compelling stories, photos and video from our corporate network across web, mobile and social media platforms.
- BA/BS in journalism, communications, or related field
- 1-3 years’ experience in a local newsroom preferred
- Sense of urgency with breaking news
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Strong communication, conflict management, and customer service skills
- Ability to cultivate and develop working relationships with local newsmakers and their staff
- Extensive knowledge of social media, online, mobile, etc. content gathering tools and technologies
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
- Ability to write in both broadcast and AP style a plus
- Flexible with shift assignments
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.