WBNS in Columbus, OH is looking for an experienced and motivated Assignment Editor who can complement our news team to create engaging up-to-the-minute content for our newscasts.
The ideal candidate has great people skills, excellent news judgement and thrives on digging for stories, as well as connecting with the community. This position is responsible for helping to select, develop and plan reporting assignments to be covered by our team of digital and broadcast journalists as well as develop enterprise stories, track and cover breaking news, field calls from the public and stay connected with local news in our communities through e-mails, social media and news releases.
This position will require strong writing skills. The successful applicant will be able to self-publish on our social media platforms, website and app.
- Discover and produce unique, local and engaging content daily and publish to multiple platforms
- Maintains daily assignment list and planning calendar
- Manages time and logistics to make sure selected stories are covered efficiently with available staff
- React quickly to breaking news and move crews effectively
- Reviews all news releases, monitors police and fire scanners, and checks social media and other local news sources for story ideas. Must have knowledge of their operations, codes, and basic use
- Makes beat calls to maintain relationships with local agencies like police departments, courts, etc.
- Represent 10TV in conversations with other media organizations about pool coverage and access issues
- Collaborate with other assignment editors on long-term story planning, including keeping track of big stories, potential follow ups, and organizing a newsroom calendar
- Use multiple social media platforms to identify stories that will trend well with audiences
- Search and locate criminal and civil document systems to be distributed to news and digital producers
- Perform basic digital producing, including but not limited to, writing and publishing local content and breaking news to the station's website and app, as well as drafting and publishing posts for the station's social media accounts
- Maintain knowledge on specific political, community and business leaders
- Understand audience insights and metrics, apply to content planning and execution
- Collaborate with other TEGNA stations, CBS and CNN affiliates to search trending content and publish compelling stories, photos and video from our corporate network across web, mobile and social media platforms.
- BA/BS in journalism, communications, or related field
- 1-3 years’ experience in a local newsroom preferred
- Sense of urgency with breaking news
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Strong communication, conflict management, and customer service skills
- Ability to cultivate and develop working relationships with local newsmakers and their staff
- Extensive knowledge of social media, online, mobile, etc. content gathering tools and technologies
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
- Ability to write in both broadcast and AP style a plus
- Flexible with shift assignments
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
HOW TO APPLY