ABC10 is looking for a creative, and enthusiastic newsroom professional to join our team in Sacramento, California. We are looking for a news hound who can put together a complex puzzle even when one piece is missing, and who wants to make the newsroom operations an important part of their career. The ideal candidate will also seek to understand our viewers and will work to find stories of value to their lives. Our Assignment Editors work in collaboration with Broadcast and Digital Producers and are trained to distribute content on our digital platforms. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to multi-task, skillfully using proprietary databases, government information systems, social media and digital tools to research and discover stories. The role requires a focus on news gathering and multi-platform storytelling — broadcast, online and social content.?This role requires exceptional organizing and planning skills, possess exceptional communication skills and thrive under deadline pressure.
- Aggressively confirm information about breaking news and dispatch crews with urgency
- Plan future coverage, enterprise, and pitch news stories
- Assemble daily news plans, including reporter/photographer assignments using AP Playbook
- Work closely with newsroom leadership to plan appropriate staffing for daily and future news gatherings
- Proactively vet incoming news tips and coordinate story gathering
- Develop and maintain lists of contacts at public agencies, major businesses, nonprofit organizations and other influential entities and individuals.
- Monitor law enforcement and emergency responder scanner traffic to alert newsroom to breaking news.
- Monitor digital chatter and real-time tools to alert newsroom to content opportunities.
- Monitor important news stories for developments in a beat-system style
- Represent ABC10 in conversations with other media organizations about pool coverage and access issues.
- Coordinate sharing of resources with other stations in the TEGNA group
- Be curious about new technologies and tools that could improve the assignment
- BA/BS in journalism, communications, or related field
- 2-5 years of experience required
- Experience in a newsroom
- Strong social media and digital writing skills
- Strong news judgement skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to write clearly and effectively.
- Understanding the tenants of professional journalism
- Knowledge of digital breaking news tools a plus
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics a plus
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Comfortable meeting multiple deadlines per day
- Flexible with shift assignments
- Great interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively and timely
- Sense of urgency with breaking news
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.