At NewsWest 9 in Midland/Odessa, Texas we are looking for an energic and involved anchor to lead our news team. Someone who can be a difference maker in our community. We’re looking for a creative, engaging, and enterprising leader who will embrace the West Texas community. The ideal candidate will be an excellent storyteller with top-notch interviewing, live, and taped reporting skills, and be willing to immerse themselves in the community. We are seeking candidates who will collaborate with the team for the most comprehensive breaking news coverage in the market. We want an innovative leader who is digitally savvy as well. NewsWest 9 anchors don’t sit behind a desk and present the news. Oh, we have a desk, but that’s why it’s on wheels. Our anchors have the freedom to show-and-tell in one of the most innovative small market studios in the country.
- Deliver on-air news events in an engaging, exciting, and accurate manner.
- Use editorial judgement to help determine content for the newscasts.
- Work with producers and team to create unique, fast-paced innovative newscasts.
- Use social media to determine content for newscasts and highlight big social stories.
- Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
- Develop story ideas, write, shoot and edit news stories for on-air broadcasting when needed.
- Produce newscasts when needed
- Develop original content through social listening and independent sources.
- Perform other tasks as required by supervisor or executive producer.
- Community appearances as assigned or determined as appropriate.
- Minimum 5 years news anchor/reporting experience preferred
- Journalism and/or Communication degree preferred
- Understand the tenets of professional Journalism
- Excellent, creative presentation and writing skills a must
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. With 63 television stations in 51 U.S. markets, TEGNA is the largest owner of top 4 network affiliates in the top 25 markets among independent station groups, reaching approximately 39 percent of all television households nationwide. TEGNA also owns leading multicast networks True Crime Network and Quest. TEGNA Marketing Solutions (TMS) offers innovative solutions to help businesses reach consumers across television, digital and over-the-top (OTT) platforms, including Premion, TEGNA’s OTT advertising service. For more information, visit http://www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA requires all employees to be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information. TEGNA complies with all applicable laws related to accommodations.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and value the benefits of diversity in our workplace.